You can choose to pledge anonymously on a project, which means your username will not be visible to the public on the project page.
When entering your card details at checkout, you'll see a box marked Do not display my name. Make sure you tick this before making your pledge if you would prefer your name not to be visible on the project page.
CAN I HIDE MY NAME AFTER I'VE PLEDGED?
Yes, you can! Log into your account and select My pledges from the drop down menu at the top right corner of the page.
Next, click on the plus sign next to the the pledge you wish to make anonymous (or public). You'll then see the option to move the toggle on or off next to Anonymous pledge. If the button is green, this means your pledge will be visible on the project's supporter page, but your name won't.
If it's grey, then both your pledge and your name will be visible to the public.
WHAT IF I'VE CHECKED OUT AS A GUEST?
You will receive an automated email receipt for your pledge. This email contains a link that allows you to create an account where you can manage your pledges. You can also activate your guest account here.
DOES THE PROJECT OWNER HAVE ACCESS TO MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
If you have pledged anonymously, this is only anonymous to the public. The owner of the project you've pledged on will always be able to see your name and certain details depending on the nature of your pledge.
- If you pledged on a reward, the project owner will see your email address. If they need to post a reward to you, they will also request your postal address.
- If you just made a donation but ticked the box to opt into project-related marketing, the project owner will also have your email address.
- If you just make a donation and opt out of project-related marketing, the project owner will not have access to your email address.
- If you selected the Gift Aid box at checkout, you will be required to leave a name and home address in order for the project owner to claim this from HMRC.
- If the project you're supporting is a political campaign, you are legally obliged to leave contact details. You will not be able to pledge anonymously.
Still not sure what the difference is between a pledge and a reward? Find out here.